MyBreastfeeding Support Services
Along with Edith Kernerman from the International Breastfeeding Clinic (http://www.nbci.ca), MyBreastFeeding.ca's Maria Lameiro is featured in this information video from the Government of Ontario about "What is a Lactation Consultant?"
Breastfeeding services at DoulaNatur is provided by Registered International Board Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLC). DoulaNatur's Lactation Consultants specialize in providing you with compassionate, holistic, family centred and personalized care.
As Registered Lactation Consultants, we will provide information and skilled hands on assistance, to help you reach your breastfeeding goals. Breastfeeding goals are unique to each family, and our Lactation Consultants will help you reach your own definition of successful breastfeeding.
Are you experiencing pain, weight concerns or any type of difficulty when breastfeeding and want to be seen ASAP?
Contact us: 647.214.1516 and we will visit you as soon as possible!
DoulaNatur's office location: Bathurst and Glencairn intersection (click here for pictures)
Please seek early qualified care from a Registered Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) if you are experiencing any type of breastfeeding discomfort, including:
- Latching problems
- Sore Nipples and tender breasts
- Help and information in order to successfully breastfeed multiples, babies with neurological challenges, cleft palates, non-latching babies.
- Breastfeeding after breast surgery, PCOS, previous lactation challenges.
- Candida infection of the breast
- Your baby is refusing to feed
- Slow weight gain or any weight concern
- Any doubt about baby's milk intake when breastfeeding
- Tongue-tie (Ankyloglossia) assessment and plan to optimize and resolve breastfeeding challenges
- Expressing and pumping guidelines
- How do I continue breastfeeding when returning to work or school?
- Do I make enough milk?
When caught early, all of these breastfeeding challenges often resolve, it is important to have a breastfeeding session assessed in order to get a personalized breastfeeding care plan.
We also offer a combined Doula and Breastfeeding Package. Please click here for more information.
**Some private insurance companies will reimburse for a consultation by a Registered International Board Certified Lactation Consultant. Please check with your insurance provider.
Prenatal Lactation Consultation
The 1hr. consult includes:
- comprehensive history review
- breast physical assessment
- birth plan review, and immediate post-partum plan to assist getting your breastfeeding off to the best start.
- Breastfeeding... how do I...
- Optimal positioning and latch
- Baby's feeding patterns
- Getting to know normal infant behaviour, and learning how to respond to baby's cues
This consult is great for first time Moms or Moms with past breastfeeding difficulties. It is especially important for moms who have had breast surgery, biopsies, etc.
Planning to breastfeed an adopted baby? This prenatal breastfeeding consult is for you!
Prenatal Breastfeeding Class
This empowering 1 hr. class will help you prepare for your baby's first days at home and it includes:
- learning breastfeeding basics.
- techniques to assist getting your breastfeeding experience off to the best start (getting the best latch to help baby transfer as much milk as he/she needs).
- you will learn how your birthing experience affects lactation.
- myths about breastfeeding.
- how to recognize your baby is hungry, is drinking and finished breastfeeding.
- Normal diaper output
Initial Lactation Consultation
This 1- 1.5 hr consultation includes:
- thorough history intake
- breastfeeding observation and assessment
- physical assessment of mother and baby
- baby´s suck, mouth structures, head and neck features
- weight check
- baby´s behaviour
- customized breastfeeding care plan, information about herbs and foods that improve breastmilk production and flow
- a report to your health care providers (this is optional)
- access via telephone and email.
- referral to other health care providers if needed
This consultation is usually 60 min. long and it includes:
- re-assessment of a breastfeeding session
- adjustments to breastfeeding care plan if necessary
- weight check
- referral to other health care providers if needed.
Summary of Breastfeeding Services and Prices (HST not included)
A brief description of each Service is found below.
Your Home or Hospital Visit, within GTA
at our Offices
by Appointment Only
|Prenatal Lactation Consultation||$100||$80||1 hour|
|Prenatal Breastfeeding Class||$100||$80||1 hour|
|Initial Lactation Consultation||$100||$80||1.5 hours|
|Follow-up Lactation Consultation||$80||$60||1 hour|
4 Lactation Consultations
(Initial + 3 follow-up)
$340 less 15% Discount
|approx. 4.5 hours in total|
Notes: (*) By appointment only. 24 hr. cancelations. We will attempt to reschedule if the need arises.
What is a Tongue-tie (Ankyloglossia)?
A Registered Lactation Consultant is trained to recognize babies who may be having breastfeeding difficulties due to a tongue-tie. Tongue tie: The ‘lingual frenum' (or lingual frenulum) is the cord that stretches from under the tongue to the floor of the mouth. ‘Tongue tie', ‘Ankyloglossia' or ‘short frenum' are the terms used when the lingual frenum is short and restricts the mobility of the tongue.
If your Registered Lactation Consultant suspects this is the source or part of your breastfeeding challenges, you will be referred to a pediatrician trained in diagnosing and treating tongue-ties and a Cranial Sacral Therapist or Chiropractic Dr. (optional, but highly beneficial).
* Some babies may have a tongue-tie and not experience breastfeeding challenges, therefore, a tongue-tie is treated based on what is going on between mom/baby and breastfeeding issues.
More information about tongue-tie by Dr. Brian Palmer
Good Latch, Compressions and Drinking!
Why is it important to get the best possible latch?
With support, education, perseverance and love this beautiful mum shares her story about breastfeeding her baby with cleft of the soft palate, when you are empowered- the sky is the limit!!